Dartford tunnel radio reception
b***@boltar.world
2010-02-17 09:46:38 UTC
Is there a relay transmitter in the dartford tunnel? I assume there must be
since some stations remain clear even in the centre but how come only some
work? Heart is clear , LBC disappears into static about 100 metres in. Do the
stations have to pay a fee to be re-broadcast?

B2003
Paul Terry
2010-02-17 10:17:40 UTC
In message <hlgdtu$abe$***@speranza.aioe.org>, ***@boltar.world
writes
Post by b***@boltar.world
Is there a relay transmitter in the dartford tunnel?
Yes
Post by b***@boltar.world
I assume there must be since some stations remain clear even in the
centre but how come only some work? Heart is clear , LBC disappears
into static about 100 metres in. Do the stations have to pay a fee to
be re-broadcast?
I think they do, which is why only some stations are clear (Radio 4 LW
always seems to work, and I think Five Live on MW, amongst others. There
is also a feed through the tunnel for some mobile phone services.
Paul Terry
b***@boltar.world
2010-02-17 10:21:23 UTC
On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:17:40 +0000
Post by Paul Terry
Post by b***@boltar.world
I assume there must be since some stations remain clear even in the
centre but how come only some work? Heart is clear , LBC disappears
into static about 100 metres in. Do the stations have to pay a fee to
be re-broadcast?
I think they do, which is why only some stations are clear (Radio 4 LW
always seems to work, and I think Five Live on MW, amongst others. There
I wonder how they prevent interference near the portals between the relays
and the main signal? The station I was listening to on FM transitioned
smoothly.

B2003
Paul Terry
2010-02-17 11:38:56 UTC
In message <hlgfv3$e66$***@speranza.aioe.org>, ***@boltar.world
writes
Post by b***@boltar.world
I wonder how they prevent interference near the portals between the relays
and the main signal? The station I was listening to on FM transitioned
smoothly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_transmitter may help, although some
car radios can perform their own frequency shift when a signal
deteriorates.
--
Paul Terry